From: firstname.lastname@example.org (Kathryn Camfield)
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 1995 16:19:33 GMT
This recipe originally posted in rec.food.veg.cooking by another poster.
This recipe is very tasty - ideal for a cold winter day (okay, it's a
little early... ;)
Lentil-Barley Shepherd's Pie
2 cups water 1 clove garlic, crushed
1/2 cup uncooked lentils 1 tsp. flour
1/4 cup uncooked barley 1 tsp. parsley
1 large carrot, diced 1 tsp. herbes de Provence
1 medium onion, finely chopped salt and pepper
8 oz. canned tomatoes, diced 3 medium potatoes, cooked and mashed
1. Peel, cut up, and boil potatoes until soft. Mash.
2. Heat 1 1/4 cups water, add lentils and barley. Simmer 30 minutes.
3. Heat remaining water in a saucepan and add carrot, onion, garlic, and
cook until tender. Add tomatoes and spices.
4. Mix the flour with a little water and add to saucepan. Stir and cook
over low heat until thickened.
5. Combine contents of saucepand with cooked lentils and barley. Place in
oven-proof baking dish and cover with mashed potatoes.
6. Bake at 350F for 30 minutes or 45 minutes if made ahead of time, from