Date: Thu, 27 Oct 94 15:54:38 EDT
Credit: Good Housekeeping - October 1994
FAT-FREE PUMPKIN-SPICE RING
1 1/4 cups cake flour (not self-rising)
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
12 to 14 large egg whites (1 2/3 cups)
1 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 16-oz. can (1 cup) solid-pack pumpkin (not pumpkin-pie mix)
About 3 hours before serving or early in the day:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In medium bowl, with fork, mix flour,
cinnamon, salt, ginger, nutmeg, and 1 cup confectioners' sugar; set aside.
2. In large bowl, with mixer at high speed, beat egg whites and cream of
tartar until soft peaks form; beat in vanilla. Beating at high speed,
sprinkle in 1 cup confectioners' sugar, 2 tbs. at a time, beating until sugar
dissolves and whites stand in stiff peaks. Remove 1 cup beaten egg-white
mixture to medium bowl; fold in pumpkin.
3. With rubber spatula or wire whisk, fold flour mixture into beaten egg
whites in large bowl just until flour disappears. Then, gently fold in
pumpkin mixture. Do not overmix.
4. Pour batter into ungreased 10-inch tube pan. Bake 35 minutes or until
cake springs back when lightly touched. Invert cake in pan on funnel or
bottle; cool completely in pan.
5. Loosen cake from pan; place on cake plate. Sprinkle with confectioners'
sugar. Makes 16 servings.
Each serving: About 100 calories, 0g fat, 0g cholesterol, 150mg. sodium.