Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 06:12:49 -0700
From: "Kate L (for Cake) Pugh" (email@example.com)
I think it's the dill and nutritional yeast that make this taste like
eggs. I'm in the UK as well - I use Engevita nutritional yeast distributed
by Marigold, from my local health food shop. I use Sainsbury's own-brand
plain tofu - it's best if the tofu hasn't been frozen.
If you don't know about sauteeing in vegetable stock, see
* Scrambled Tofu *
* 2 tbsp finely-chopped onion
* vegetable stock to saute
* 1/2 pack (150g, 5oz) plain tofu (not silken), grated
* 2 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
* 1/8 tsp garlic granules
* 1/4 tsp dried dill
* salt and freshly-ground black pepper to taste
1. Using a non-stick pan, gently saute the onion in a little vegetable
stock until softened but not browned.
2. Add the tofu and stirfry for about another 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, mix the nutritional yeast, garlic granules and dill with
a few tbsp water to form a thinnish sauce. Season with plenty of salt
4. Add the sauce to the pan and stir and cook until the liquid is gone
and the scrambled tofu is fairly dry.
5. Serve on toast.