Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 06:47:28 -0400
I've been making these buns for years--and I just throw everything
into the food processor and the results are fabulous. It couldn't get
any easier. You can make the recipe the conventional way as well--but
it does take a bit more time because of the kneading process.
PORTUGUESE CRUSTY BUNS
1 teaspoon white sugar
1/2 cup water 115F
1 tablespoon yeast
3/4 tablespoon salt
1 1/2 cups water
5 cups all purpose flour.
1. Put the first 1/2 cup of warm water and the sugar and the yeast into
the bowl of the food processor. Let stand until yeast bubbles.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients in batches and process until smooth
and pulls away from the sides of the bowl. You may need a little more or
less flour. Don't add all the flour at once until you see how much you
3. Turn out onto a floured board and shape into a ball. Cover with a
clean cloth--and let rise about 1 1/2 hours.
4. Punch down, cut int half. Cut each half into eight even pieces. Form
into balls and let rest 10 minutes.
5. Flatten balls of dough with your hand to form an oblong shape. Fold
in the middle and put on cookie sheet to rise until double (40-45 min)
6. Bake on tope rack of oven in 500F oven for 12 minutes--WATCHING VERY
CAREFULLY THE LAST TWO MINUTES (they go black very quickly!) The buns
should be a light golden color.