Re: lentil soup

Courtney wrote:
> Does anyone know any good lentil soup recipes?  I had a great low-fat
lentil soup at a
> restaurant last week, and I bought lentils, but I am at a loss of what to
do with them!

Here's a good, quick one from Rose Elliot's The Vegetarian Mother and Baby
Book, with my modifications. I include her note.

QUICK LENTIL SOUP

Very soothing and nourishing and another excellent source of iron. This soup
is very popular with the babies of my acquaintance and was the first food I
gave my youngest daughter, when she was six months old. Serve with warm
whole wheat rolls or garlic bread.

1 onion, peeled and chopped
Your favourite sauteing liquid [I won't horrify you with the amount of
butter she recommends - I use a quick spray of olive oil Pam in a non-stick
pan]
1 clove garlic, peeled and minced  [I use more]
1/2 pound split red lentils
4 cups water
1 to 2 tbspns lemon juice
Sea salt [I use regular salt]
Freshly ground black pepper
Chopped parsley (optional)

Saute the onion and garlic gently until soft. Add the lentils and water.
Bring toa  boil, then simmer gently for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the
lentils are soft and pale-coloured. You can either beat the soup with a
spoon, to break up the lentils, or let cool a bit and puree it in in a
blender, for a smooth, creamy texture. Add the lemon juice and salt and
pepper to taste. Return to the pan and reheat before serving. It's delicious
with some chopped parsley sprinkled over the top.