Spicy Mexican Chorizo

submitted by feliciagonzales@xxxxxxx

SPICY MEXICAN CHORIZO

This spicy traditional mexican sausage lends itself fabulously to TVP.  It's
so good, I even fooled my Mom, who thought it was pork chorizo!

Ingredients:

1 cup tvp, reconstituted
1 to 1.5 TB of good quality paprika
1 to 1.5 TB chili powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp salt, or more if you like
2 TB vinegar (or chipotle vinegar if you can find it or want to make your own)
1/4 tsp sugar or a scant sprinkle of Equal
1 egg white

Directions:

Once tvp is reconstituted in water, let rest for a few minutes.  Heat a non
stick skillet and then toss in reconstituted tvp.  Add all spices and stir in
well.  Add vinegar.  Heat and gently saute for 1 minute on medium heat to let
flavors absorb.  Add in sugar or equal just to balance flavor.  (May be
omitted, but I find the balance enhances flavor).  Whisk egg white in
separate bowl.   Quickly stir in egg white to tvp mixture to cook egg white.
(Egg white is not detectable, but lends the right consistency and texture to
the chorizo).

Serve immediatly with corn or flour tortillas, or store in refrigerator and
use in your favorite chorizo or Mexican recipes.  Here are a few suggestions:

Stir into scrambled egg subsitute or egg whites.

Mix with black beans and corn and salsa for tacos.

Make tostados from corn or flour tortillas, soy cheese, chorizo and sauteed
green peppers.  Serve with salsa.