Russian Coffee Cake

Okay - how about I redeem all of my questions with a ff recipe.  This one is
in two parts.  You need to make a Challah Dough, and then turn that into a
Russian Coffee Cake.   btw -- this is Excellent!!!  I've lost 72 pounds by
going fat free (no more than 10 grams of fat a day) and learning how to eat
'pesco - pollo vegetarian", and this bread is a wonderful treat that won't
break rules. :-)

Bonnie

RUSSIAN COFFEE CAKE

"Challah Dough"

1 1/2 tsp dry yeast
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup apple juice concentrate, thawed
2 cups bread flour
1/2 cup egg substitute
2 tbsp apple butter
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp grated lemon zest
1 drop yellow food coloring or 2 saffron threads (optional)

1.  In a medium bowl, dissolve the yeast in the water.  Add the apple juice
concentrate and 1 cup of the flour.  Stir to form a smooth paste.  Cover and
let rest in a draft free place for an hour to form a 'sponge'.
2.  Set aside 1 tbsp of the egg substitute.  Add all the remaining
ingredients in the order suggested by your bread machine manual, adding the
sponge with the liquids.  Process on the Dough cycle according to the
manufacturer's directions.

Coffee Cake Instructions:

1 recipe of challah dough
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup dried cherries or currants
1 egg white, beaten

1.  When the dough cycle ends, remove the dough from the bread machine.  On a
floured surface with a floured rolling pin, roll the dough into a 9 x 12
rectangle.  Sprinkle the spices over the dough.  Cut the dough into thirds.
Sprinkle the raisins over one piece of dough.  Top with another piece of
dough.  Sprinkle the dried cherries or currants over the second layer of
dough.  Place the third piece on top, spiced side down.  Pinch the edges
together to seal in the fruits.
2.  Roll out the filled dough into a 9 x 12 rectangle, being careful not to
lose the fruits.  Place the dough on a nonstick baking sheet.  Brush the top
with the egg white.  Score the top into 16 squares to make the cake easier to
cut when baked.  Cover and let rise in a draft free place 30 minutes, until
doubled in size.
3.  While the dough is rising, preheat the over to 350 degrees.  Bake 20 to
25 minutes or until golden brown.

Makes 16 servings.
Per Serving:  99 calories; 0.3 grams of fat; 0 cholesterol; 3% calories from
fat.

(Recipe from: The Best Low Fat, No Sugar Bread Machine Cookbook Ever)