Rice Casserole with Pine Nuts

Just finished preparing this fabulous casserole and now I can smell the most
wonderful aroma from the oven.
Thought I would share it with you!

Rice Casserole with Pine Nuts.
1 medium onion, chopped
1 red or green bell pepper, cut into 1/2 inch squares
1 large carrot quartered lengthwise and chopped (this time I am using sweet
potato instead and it is a lovely alternative)
3 small ribs celery, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 bay leaves
1/4 tsp thyme
1 tsp. dill weed
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 1/2 tsp paprika
1 tsp. salt
1 cup long grain brown rice (Today I am using a blended wild rice , nummy
yum in my tummy)
1 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
1 cup water
1/4 cup currants or raisins
1/2 cup toasted pine nuts or slivered almonds

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Use whatever replacement you use for oil and
lightly coat the bottom of an 8X10 baking dish.
In a large skillet heat oil replacement (apple juice is quite nice with
this) over medium high heat. Add vegetables, garlic, bay leaves, thyme, dill
weed and 1/4 cup parsley, and cook, stirring often, 6 minutes. Add paprika,
salt and rice. Cook, stirring 1 minute. Add tomatoes, water and currents or
raisins, bring to a simmer.
Transfer to prepared baking dish; cover and bake until rice is tender, about
1.5 hours . Toss with pine nuts or almonds and remaining parsley. Serve
warm, makes 6 servings.