Tabouli

I had a couple of requests for my tabouli recipe, so here it is.  It was
adapted from one in the original 1984 edition of The Vegetarian Times
Cookbook.  Don't leave out the allspice!  It gives it a great flavor.

Tabouli

Serves 4-6

3/4 cup boiling water
1/2 cup cracked wheat or fine bulgur
1/2 cup minced parsley
1/4 cup minced mint leaves
1/2 cup finely chopped green onion
1 tomato, diced
1 cucumber, seeded and diced
3 tablespoons oil substitute (fatfree Italian dressing, liquid from canned
chickpeas*, or reduced vegetable broth)
2 tablespoons lemon juice, or to taste
1 tsp. sea salt, or to taste
Pepper to taste
Pinch allspice

Pour boiling water over the cracked wheat, cover, and let stand about 20
minutes until wheat is tender and water is absorbed.  Add the chopped
vegetables and toss to mix.  Combine oil substitute, lemon juice, salt,
pepper, and allspice.  Add to wheat mixture and mix well.  Chill.  Serve and
enjoy.

*As someone else mentioned, I always serve this with hummus, so I use the
chickpea liquid.

Susan