Eggplant

Can anyone tell me if the smaller (I think they are oriental) eggplants taste different than the big purple ones I see in the stores? I tried eggplant as a child and didn't care for the taste, of course my mother made it battered and deep-fried and that may have been the cause too. I see lots of recipes on here for it and figure it can't be all bad if everyone is eating it. I would appreciate any input.
Thanks
Sally