Steamers

I bought a small, very inexpensive plastic steamer at a Japanese market/mall
in the Chicago area (Rolling Meadows, corner of Arlington Heights &
Algonquin Rds, formerly called Yaohan, under new management, if you're from
this area).  It has 3 pieces: a dish about 7" across, a perforated tray that
sits atop the dish, and a domed lid with a small hole in the top to release
excess steam.  Goes in the dishwasher and the microwave, works like a charm.
I just put a little water in the bottom and the veggies on the tray, and
stick it in the microwave for a minute or two.  When it's done, the water is
flavored from the veggies and goes into the broth jar in my fridge.  You can
also stick seasonings over the veggies, or in the water for a more subtle
taste.

All of the instructions are embossed on the steamer in Japanese, but I found
the temperature guidelines (the numbers are in Arabic numerals) in Celsius,
so I knew that it would stand both appliances.  I figured the rest didn't
matter. This is one of my favorite gadgets.  Now I just wish I had a bigger
one as well.  I'm hungry for Chinese dumplings again, and this will only do
a few at a time.  :-)

Have a great day, all!

Ruth

Ruth C. Hoffman    ruth.hoffman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:ruth.hoffman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Language Resources
138 Oak Street
Lake Zurich, IL  60047-1322
Tel: 847.726.1608
Fax: 847.726.1652

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes."  --Marcel Proust