Onion Help!

After 7 years being vegetarian and LF/FF . . . I have run into a major
problem.  My DH is allergic to the onion family! He must avoid onions,
garlic, leeks, and asparagus.  This on top of a food intolerance to soy!
Needless to say, not only is my cooking LF/FF but has become quite
tasteless! I need suggestions on seasonings -- especially in dishes that are
heavy on garlic/onions like stir "fry" (which started with a soy sauce and
water saute of a chopped onion and 4 cloves of garlic!) And can you imagine
an Italian tomato sauce without garlic?  Great-Grandmother Chicchetti surely
rolled in her grave when I dropped the "you know whats."  To leave out her
heads of garlic and chopped onion will have her haunting me!  :-)

Many, many TIA . . .
Martha