Pickled ginger

   Hi -

    The current thread about ginger reminded me that there had been a
recipe for pickled ginger posted to the list several years ago. I looked
it up in my file today and found I had written the comment, "Good and
easy" on it. I'd made it several times and really liked it.
    It was posted  by Kitty G who  explained the recipe came from a
Japanese friend.

Pickled ginger:

4 oz. (115g) peeled fresh ginger root
1 cup (250 ml) boiling water
1/2 cup (125 ml) rice vinegar
2 T (30 ml) sugar
1/2 t (2 ml) salt

Cut ginger in 1/16 inch (2mm) slices. Place ginger in small bowl; add
boiling water. Let stand 30 sec; drain well

Place vinegar, sugar and salt in small crockery, glass or ceramic bowl;
stir until sugar is dissolved. Add ginger, stir to coat.

Cover bowl; let ginger stand at room temperature at least one hour.
Refrigerate, covered, until well chilled. (Kitty G. explained the color
of the ginger becomes pinkish; but usually in restaurants and in Japan,
they add red food coloring.) To serve, remove slices from liquid. Makes
about 3/4 cup (180 ml.) Will keep for several weeks refrigerated in
pickling liquid, tightly covered.

Margaret