picnic idea

An idea for Kirsten (and anyone else enjoying summer at the moment!)
I often make a cold noodle salad with tofu and udon noodles in the summer..
I don't really have a recipe for it, so I'll just explain what I do:
Use any vegies you have (I've used combinations of broccoli, carrots, snow
peas, asparagus, and even zucchini) Cut them into matchsticks, doesn't have
to be really fine, approximately the same width as the noodles, as a
guideline. Zap them in the microwave for about 2 minutes, then rinse under
cold water. Meanwhile cut the tofu into squares and marinate - for a block
of approx 200g, I use about 1 tablespoon of soy sauce, 1 tblspn of sweet
chili sauce and the juice of half a lime, mixed with a little water (I
guess about a tblspn again)
Pour boiling water over the noodles (I use about half a packet, but you may
want to use more) and let soak for 5 or so minutes - it doesn't seem to
matter exactly how long! Chop half a bunch of coriander and half a bunch of
mint finely (I guess this would be about 1-2 tablespoons of each) Dice half
a red capsicum and a couple of spring onions. Drain the noodles, and rinse
under cold water. I like to chop them into smaller lengths, just to make it
easier to eat, but you don't really have to.
To assemble - mix everything in a big bowl, and leave for a couple of hours
to let the flavours blend. This is one of those dishes that actually tastes
better the next day!
I've also used things like bean shoots and celery (add at the same time as
the capsicum) both of which give a bit of extra crunch.
Depending on how many vegies you use, this would probably make enough for
3-4 servings.
Enjoy the jazz!
Liz

Liz Walkley
Subject Liaison Librarian
Education, Special Education and Disability Studies
Sturt Library
Flinders University of South Australia
phone    8201 3292

"Everything has been thought of before - the problem is to think of it
again."
Goethe