I found sweet potato gnocchi at an Italian grocery specialty store in my
neighborhood. What a great idea. They sounded yummy. This special
gnocchi may be difficult to find, but check in old Italian neighborhoods
like mine here in Vancouver. There are delicious variations on gnocchi
that could be substituted in this recipe. Herbed, Spinach, Tomato, etc.
but the sweet potato flavour in this stew is great. Traditional Gnocchi
is not made with eggs, oil or milk so the recipe is Vegan. Its a
wonderful colourful winter meal. Chao!
1 medium spaghetti squash
1/4 C of water
3 cloves of garlic -minced
1/2 tsp. of rosemary
1/2 tsp. of oregano
1/2 tsp. of basil
1 medium onion chopped
1 stalk of celery chopped
1 small zucchini chopped
1 tblsp. red wine vinegar
1 can of diced tomatoes -28 oz
1/4 C of chopped flat leafed parsley
3 Cups of Sweet Potato Gnocchi
* Cut the squash in half, place cut sides down on a plate and
microwave till soft, apx.. 8 - 10 min.
* Meanwhile place the water, garlic, onions, oregano, rosemary and
basil into a 4 lt./ 8 C pot and simmer. stirring often, until the
onions have just softened. 8 - 10 min.
* When the spaghetti squash is done, remove the seeds, then scrape
the pulp out into a bowl and set aside. You won't need more than 2
* Then add celery, zucchini, red wine vinegar and some salt and
pepper to the pot, toss everything together.
* Add the can of tomatoes, stir, cover and simmer for 10 more min.
* Add the squash to the pot about halfway through. Give it all a
strong stir to break up the stringy squash. Cover.
* Add Gnocchi and parsley. Stir. Cover and simmer for apx. 7 or 8
Sprinkle with rice parmesan substitute and serve with herbed bread and a
salad with balsamic vinegar.