[recipe] - Polenta Tamale Pie

Modified this recipe from epicurious.com to make it vegetarian and low-fat. It was absolutely delicious. There are plenty of variations that could be done -- use black beans, different kinds of salsa, etc. This is also a great freezer recipe for those pesky work lunches that are a pain to prepare.

POLENTA TAMALE PIE

4 Boca Burgers
1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 16-ounce bottle spicy salsa
1 15- to 16-ounce can refried beans
1 14 1/2-ounce can vegetable broth (I think I only used about a cup of broth.) 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro (I didn't have any cilantro, so I used a pinch of coriander instead.)

2 1-pound rolls prepared polenta, sliced into 1/3-inch-thick rounds
3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (Use your preferred fat-free substitute.)

I also didn't have prepared polenta, so I just made my own. I used 1 cup dry polenta to 3 cups water.

Cook Boca Burgers on the stovetop until thawed/ready to eat. Break Boca Burgers up into bite-size pieces. Add chili powder and cumin; stir 1 minute. Add salsa, beans and broth. Simmer until mixture thickens, about 10 minutes. Mix in 1/4 cup cilantro (or the coriander); season with salt and pepper.

Place half of polenta in dish. Top with Boca Burger sauce and 1 1/2 cups cheese, then remaining polenta, cheese and cilantro. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover with foil; chill.)

Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake freshly assembled pie, uncovered, until heated through and sauce bubbles, about 35 minutes, or bake refrigerated pie, covered, 20 minutes, then uncover and bake until heated through, about 35 minutes.

Makes 8 servings.