good salad

I am posting this to respond to someone's request for a fast, easy meal. This is very simple, but delicious! You can buy some nice portabellas from Trader Joe's (in the refrigerated veggie section) for a pretty good price!

Portabella Mushroom and Spinach Salad

well-washed spinach leaves
sliced red onion
portabella mushrooms, rinsed, cut into bite-size, but fairly large pieces
optional--grated fat-free or low-fat chese (white cheese is particularly "pretty")
optional--chopped tomatoes or red bell peppers

I marinate the pieces of portabella mushroom VERY briefly in a mixture of balsamic vinegar, garlic, freshly ground pepper, basil, dill, and any other spices I feel like. Then I heat up a skillet, toss in a little more balsamic vinegar, and "fry" the mushroom until they are black, or at least very dark, then throw them on top of the spinach salad, and grate the cheese on top! It is very "meaty" and wonderful, very flavorful. One caution: be very careful of the amount of vinegar you use, and the time you marinate--the mushroom soaks up the vinegar VERY quickly and can make the mushroom inedible in no time (I made that mistake the first time I made this). Add some more freshly ground pepper on top if you so desire--there really isn't much need for an additional dressing, but I guess you could use your favorite ff dressing if you wanted. ENJOY!

Cyleste