feeding the family

A while ago, I told someone on the list recently that I would post
kid-friendly fat-free, vegetarian recipies.   There are many that my
kids enjoy even though my family is not entirely vegetarian.  We're
eating vegetarian frequently  because I have made a vow to feed us
all healthier.  It has taken some time to get them used to certain
foods.  All of them do not eat every item I serve, but I consider it
an adaptive  progress.  We have already come a long way (considering
I was raised on Hamburger Helper and Rice-A Roni).

This is an excellent version of Cream-of-Potato Soup.  My whole
family loves it.  Serve it as a side or as the main dish with a
salad or garlic bread or WW croutons.

Potato Broccoli Chowder
1 lg onion, diced
1 green or red pepper, cut to 1/2 " dice  (optional - I don't use
this)
3 - 4 carrots, 1/2 " dice
6 -8 potatoes, 1/2 - 3/4 " dice ( depending on how big you want the
chunks)
3 Cups stock ( I use the potato cooking water)
1 cup rice milk (again I use potato cooking water)
1 16oz. pkg. broccoli cuts, thawed and drained   (or 1 bunch fresh;
heads chopped,             stalks peeled and chopped seperately from
florets)

Cook chopped potatoes until soft but not mushy, drain - reserving
cooking water.  Put 1/2 of the potatoes in a blender (in batches  if
necessary) with stock.  I put onions in blender also, to hide them
from my kids.  Put potato/stock puree into a large pot with the rest
of liquids.   If you haven't blended the onions, add them to the pot
now.  Also add carrots, peppers and chopped stalks of broccoli (if
using fresh broccoli).  Simmer 10 - 15 minutes.  Add the other half
of the cooked potatoes just before serving.  Thin with extra potato
liquid if necessary.  Season with salt, pepper and cayene or crushed
red pepper.  If you like things spicy, add the cayene/ red pepper
with carrots.

to:   fatfree@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc:   Wood.kevin-joanne@xxxxxxxx
      NJPhipps@xxxxxxxx