veg broth

While we're speaking of vegetable broth, here's a great recipe from Dr.
Ornish's Eat More, Weigh Less:
 I've tried many prepackaged veg broths, this beats them all.

       "Brown Vegetable Stock"
A good vegetable stock with intense flavor

2 yellow onions, quarterd
1 red onion, quartered
5 carrots, cut in chunks
3 leeks, cut in chunks
3 stalks celery, cut in chunks
1 garlic clove, peeled and halved
1 bay leaf

Preheat oven to 450.   Put the veg.s/bay  in a heavy baking pan.  roast
in the oven, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for about 1 hour.
Transfer  to a stockpot.  Cover with 2 quarts water.  Bring to a
boil and simmer, covered, for 1 hour.  Strain.  Cool to room temp.
and refridgerate for up to 4 days or freeze up tp one week.

Serving size = 1 cup      29 calories      .1 gram of fat       0
cholesterol   13.4 mg sodium

My notes on the recipe:  in roasting the vegs , do not let them
burn!  -even if it means halving the roasting time - your broth will
thank you.  Don't worry if you have no red onion or leeks that day;
use as many of the ingredients as you can, it will be fine.  Freeze
in 1 cup containers for recipes or in ice cube trays for sauteeing.

to:   fatfree@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc:   JBreindel@xxxxxxx
      Wood.kevin-joanne@xxxxxxxx
      Vernooy@xxxxxxxxxxxx