Tofu soup

These cold winter days make me crave soup.  This is a favorite of mine, even
tho it is not as hearty as most.
Tofu Soup
6 dried black mushrooms
12 ounces of reduced fat tofu
4 ounces of oriental pea pods
4 cups of Veggie broth
Salt and soy to taste
     Soak the dried mushrooms in very warm water until they are soft.  This
takes about 1/2 hour.  Drain the liquid through a coffee filter or a very
fine sieve and save.  Discard the stems.  Cut mushrooms into pieces.  Cut
tofu into bite size cubes.  If you are using fresh pea pods, remove strings.
     Bring veggie broth to a boil and add mushroom liquid.  Add mushrooms,
tofu and salt or a little soy sauce if you wish.  Return to boil and reduce
heat.  Cover and cook for 5 minutes.  Add pea pods and return to a boil.
Taste for seasonings.  Serve.  Makes about 6 cups.
     I serve this with tasty white rice.
Tasty White Rice
1 cup raw rice
1 carrot, coarsly grated
1 rib celery, chopped small
1 onion, chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped
2 cups water (veggie broth can be substituted)
     Saute the carrot, celery, onion and green pepper in water, add any other
 veggie you would like.  After 5 min add rice and salt and pepper if you are
not using broth.  Add liquid.  Bring to a boil.  Stir with a fork.  Cover and
reduce heat to low.  Let cook 20 min.  Remove from heat and let sit 5 min.
Fluff with a fork.

Kay
 Louisville, Ky