Portobello mushrooms

I'd like to clear up how to prepare portobello mushrooms to use in a dish.

I read online somewhere to wipe tops, peel tops, remove dark gills underneath
and cut off the stem.  Is it really necessary to remove the dark gills?  I'm
sure the peeling of the tops was only if there were something there
unsightly.  I grilled some recently and they are delicious.  I did wipe off
gently and remove the stems and gills.

I'd also appreciate any recipes using portobellos.

Thanks-- Barbara In FL