Here's a Good One !! Tried and True - Can use whatever type flavored bullion
you choose- Create several different bases ( additions of liquid smoke, hot
sauce, Dijon mustard, garlic ) are just a few hints........
(makes 6 servings)
* 1/2 pound (240 g) leeks, trimmed, split in half lengthwise and well
* 1 medium white onion, 5 ounces (150 g), chopped
* 1/2 pound (240 g) carrots, peeled and thinly sliced on the diagonal
* 2 large celery ribs, thinly sliced on the diagonal
* 2 tablespoons (25 g) dried lentils
* 2 tablespoons (25 g) dried split peas
* 2 tablespoons (25 g) dried small white beans
* 1 teaspoon (5 ml) dried parsley
* 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) freshly ground pepper
* 2 quarts (2 l) low-sodium canned vegetable broth or spicy tomato
* 1 14 1/2-ounce (435 g) can no salt added plum tomatoes, drained and
* 4 ounces (120 g) fresh spinach, well rinsed and tough stems
* 8 ounces shredded cabbage
In a large soup pot, heat broth over medium-low heat. Thinly slice
cleaned leeks and add to pot along with the onion. Cook, stirring, until
vegetables wilt, about 5 minutes.
Add remaining ingredients except tomatoes and spinach. Bring to a
boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 45 minutes, stirring
Add tomatoes and continue to simmer, covered, for another 15
minutes, until white beans are tender. Add spinach and simmer, uncovered,
until wilted, about 3 minutes, stirring.
Ladle into soup bowls and serve.
4 servings aprox 140 calories per serving
~ TODAY'S MIGHTY OAK IS JUST YESTERDAY'S NUT THAT HELD IT'S GROUND ~
MOTIVATION GETS YOU STARTED, HABIT KEEPS YOU GOING !!