More Mole

Any Hispanic grocery store and some supermarkets, especially those that
serve areas with a high Hispanic population, will sell mole mix or powder.
I've got a jar of it here (El Popular brand) that I got at my local
supermarket.  The ingredients are: chile pepper, wheat and corn flour,
sesame seed, sugar, cocoa, almonds, spices, and salt.  Instructions: "Over a
low flame dissolve 1/2 jar (= 3.5 ounces) of mole into 2 cups of broth.  If
mole is too thick, add broth until desired thickness is obtained.  Add
[whatever you're going to serve the sauce over--tofu, seitan, veggies....]
and allow to simmer for approximately 10 minutes.  Serves 4 people."

Two cups is a lot of sauce--when I tried it I used a much smaller amount.
(There are only two of us, and it is a sort of specialized taste which my
husband thought took some getting used to.)  This particular jar is not
fatfree, since it contains sesame seeds and almonds, but you inventive
people out there can use it as a jumping-off place and make up your own
recipe.  I would not have thought of putting corn flour into it, for
example.

Note that this brand is tomato-free, useful for those of you who don't
like/can't eat tomatoes.  Neil's recipe, which sounds yummy, does contain
tomatoes.  (Neil, I plan to try yours!)

Have a great day, all!

Ruth C. Hoffman    ruth.hoffman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Language Resources
138 Oak Street
Lake Zurich, IL  60047-1322
Tel: 847.726.1608
Fax: 847.726.1652

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes."  --Marcel Proust