Shepardless Pie/ Soy Chorizo

To Nancy & Jena,

>...one of your ingredients you use is "soy chorizo"...i've never heard of it. does >it taste good?and where can i purchase it at?before i started my diet,i love beef chorizo with >eggs,but now a "reborn vegan"i'm trying to find something to place my "egg beaters" in the morning. >your response would be muchly apprieciated...thanx,JENA

Hi,
I think it tastes very good in things. I don't know how it would be plain. I'm not sure the texture would work for just frying by itself. It is fairly moist. I buy it at Trader Joe's. Their brand is called "Spicy Soy Sausage." It has a lot of seasonings mixed into it already. Makes great tacos, chili, or any Mexi-things. There is another brand I have found at Fry's grocery stores in their health food refrigerated section called "Soyrizo". It comes in a plastic package in a long sausage shape. The Trader Joe's kind comes in a stubby package that looks like "Gimmie Lean" packages. Trader Joe's brand is also in the refrigerated section, near the "Smart Dogs" which are my husbands favorite meal.

My Shepardless Pie recipe, loosely, since I don't measure much, is as follows:

1        Onion, chopped
1        tube of Spicy Soy Sausage or Soyrizo
1-2 cups Frozen kernel corn (or fresh cut off the cob)

2-4 cups Garlic Mashed potatoes

Start potatoes boiling (I don't peel, just scrub & quarter) add several roughly chopped garlic cloves to the boiling water. Cook until done. Drain water. Add more garlic, crushed, if desired, add soy margarine or fat free sour cream, soy milk or however you like to make your mashed potatoes, mash with skins and garlic, salt and pepper. Mmmm. I could eat a huge bowl just of this.

Meanwhile, sizzle the onions in water or broth (I like onion broth) when softened and slightly browned add tube of soy sausage and heat. Add corn kernels (or other veggies you prefer). Transfer mixture into pie pan sprayed with cooking spray. Top with mashed potatoes and smooth into a mound. Put in 350 degree (moderate heat) oven for 30 minutes or so. You can top with ff cheese and bake another 5 minutes if you like.

Serve with salad and bread. If you don't have seconds then I'm very proud of you. This is one of my favorite meals.
It is easier to get older than it is to get wiser