rebuild of Philly FF group

(Michelle, if you can change this information in your FAQ, that would be
terrific.)

I'm trying to reorganize the Philadelphia FF group. The group grew very
quickly, and then I got sick, and it sort of fizzled out. But my health is
back, and I'd really like to get things moving again.

Post message: phillyff@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subscribe: phillyff-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxx

Now, so that Michelle doesn't get annoyed at me for posting junk =-), here's
a recipe:

2 teaspoons rice vinegar
2 teaspoons soy sauce
Mixed veggies (broccoli, pea pods, julienne carrots, etc), 2-3 cups

6 ounces bean-thread (cellophane) noodles*
1/2 cup thinly sliced scallion
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh gingerroot
2 teaspoons Asian chili paste* or 1/2 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
3 tablespoons Scotch (I've also used white wine)
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
3 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander, or to taste, if desired

*available at Asian markets.

In a bowl soak the noodles in warm water to cover for 15 minutes, drain
them, and cut them into 3- to 4-inch lengths.

In a wok or large heavy skillet stir-fry 1/4 cup of the scallion, the
garlic, and the gingerroot in the 2t rice vinegar and 2t soy sauce for 30
seconds. Add the mixed veggies, the chili paste and stir-fry the mixture,
until vegetables are bright. Add the noodles, the broth, the Scotch, the soy
sauce, the vinegar, and the sugar and simmer the mixture, stirring
occasionally, for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the noodles have absorbed the
liquid. Transfer the mixture to a platter and sprinkle it with the coriander
and the remaining 1/4 cup scallion.

Serves 4 to 6.

Gourmet (as modified by yours truly)
September 1993