Re: FATFREE Digest V99 #279

In a message dated 10/10/1999 4:21:06 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
fatfree-request@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< Does anybody have a recipe for a "COLD beet soup".  I had it in a
 >restaurant called Cravings in St Louis and it is seriously the best soup
 >I have ever had in my life!!! >>

Its called Borcht.

2 bunches young beets.
2 quarts water
Salt and pepper to taste
juice of 1 lemon
Sugar to taste
2 eggs

Use dark red beets.  Wash, peel,and grate.  Add to water with salt and
pepper, to taste.  Cook until tender.  Add lemon juice and about 1 TBL sugar.
Cool.  Soup should have dintinctly sweet-sour taste. since beets vary in
sugar content, amount of seasonings is added accordingly.  Beat eggs slightly
and blend slowly with cooled borcht.  May be served hot or ice cold topped
with a tablespoon of FF sour cream.  Sliced hard cooked eggs and chopped
cucumber are also used as a garnish.  A small sprig of fresh dill added to
beets while cooking enhances flavor.

(I would leave out the raw egg and add the dill)

Peggy