Whole Grains ? and Recipes

I have been on this list for about 6 months or so, and have gotten some
excellent recipes. I will be adding two I have not seen here, and hope to
share more often.

I do have a question, though. Do many of you make your own breads, pastas,
etc? If not, do you focus on purchasing whole-grain pastas and breads,
instead of white-flour?

For those who don't usually have time to make their own bread, here is a kind
of sweetish, very quick whole wheat bread, and following a half whole wheat,
half white flour easy bread that takes 1 hr 15 min, and can be made in a
Kitchen Aid or food processor...

{ Exported from MasterCook Mac }

Cracked Wheat Quick Bread

Serving Size:   9
Preparation Time:   0:50
Categories: Breads  Quick as a Wink

Amount  Measure Ingredient  Preparation Method
1 1/2   cups        whole wheat flour
3/4 cup     all-purpose flour
1/2 cup     oats
1/2 cup     sugar
2   tablespoons bulgur  or cracked wheat
1 1/2   teaspoons   baking powder
1/2 teaspoon    baking soda
1/3 teaspoon    salt
1 1/4   cups        skim or soy milk
1   tablespoon  canola oil  (can sub applesauce)
2       egg whites

Preheat oven to 350. Oil a 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 loaf pan.

Combine dry ingredients.

Whisk milk, oil (or applesauce) and egg whites. stir into dry ingredients
until just moistened.

Pour batter into prepared pan and bake 45 minutes, or until a toothpick
inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from pan to cool.

    ?????

Per serving: 218 Calories; 3g Fat (11% calories from fat); 7g Protein; 43g
Carbohydrate; 1mg Cholesterol; 241mg Sodium
###

{ Exported from MasterCook Mac }

Quick Wheat Bread

Serving Size:   8
Preparation Time:   1:10
Categories: Breads  Quick as a Wink

Amount  Measure Ingredient  Preparation Method
2 3/4   cups    flour
2 3/4   cups    whole wheat flour
2   tablespoons dry yeast
2   tablespoons sugar
1   tablespoon  salt
2   cups    water   hot

Mix 4 cups of flour with yeast, sugar and salt. Pour in water, mix 3 minutes.
Stir in remaining flour until not sticky.

Knead 8 minutes. Put in greased bowl, cover with damp towel. Let rise 15
minutes. punch down. Divide in half, shape loaves. Cut an X in the top, brush
with water.

Place on middle shelf in cold oven. Place a water pan on lowest shelf. Turn
to 400 degrees. Bake 40-50 minutes.
    ?????

Per serving: 317 Calories; 1g Fat (4% calories from fat); 11g Protein; 67g
Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 806mg Sodium
###

Heather