Two-Bean Enchiladas

We had this for dinner Saturday night.  I had to force my husband to stop
eating so that we would have half of it for dinner tonight.  He gave it a
4.5 on a 5 point scale.  I put some of the drained bean mixture on the
bottom of the pan too so that it would be less likely to stick.

Kathleeen

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                           Two-Bean Enchiladas

Recipe By     : "Everyday Cooking with Dean Ornish"
Serving Size  : 4     Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Beans And Legumes               Main Dishes, Vegetarian
                Vegetables

  1                cup  diced onion -- finely diced
  1                cup  diced green bell pepper -- finely diced
  1           teaspoon  minced garlic
  1         tablespoon  chili powder
  1           teaspoon  ground cumin
     1/4           cup  Vegetable Broth
  15            ounces  black beans, canned
  15            ounces  kidney beans, canned
  1                cup  tomato sauce, no salt added
  1                cup  corn kernels
  8             6 inch  corn tortillas

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Spray a 9 by 13-inch baking dish lightly
with cooking spray
In a saucepan combine onion, bell peppers, garlic, chili powder,  cumin,
and vegetable broth. Bring to a simmer over moderately high heat and cook
until onion and peppers are tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Add black beans and
kidney beans with their liquid, and the tomato sauce.   Bring to a boil,
cover, reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook 10 minutes to blend
flavors. Stir in corn and simmer 2 minutes.  Put mixture into a strainer
set over a bowl.  Reserve the liquid.
Steam tortillas: Put a stack between damp paper towels and microwave on
high until they are soft and pliable, about 1 minute.  Or wrap them in a
dishtowel and steam them in a bamboo steamer until  soft and pliable.
Put 1/2 cup drained filling in each tortilla, then roll and place side by
side in prepared baking dish. Drizzle filled tortillas with reserved bean
tomato juices.  Cover dish with foil and bake until hot throughout about 15
minutes. Serve immediately.
Serving size: 2 enchiladas, Calories: 374, Fat 3.4 g, Cholesterol: O mg,
Carbohydrate: 73 .5 g, Protein 17.4 mg, Sodium: 1,045.0 mg (with canned beans)

Cuisine:
  "Mexican"
Source:
  "Everyday Cooking with Dean Ornish"
Ratings       : Excellent

Per serving: 379 Calories (kcal); 3g Total Fat; (7% calories from fat); 17g
Protein; 73g Carbohydrate; trace Cholesterol; 912mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 4 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1/2
Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates

NOTES : Packed with a savory bean and  corn filling, these plump enchiladas
will appeal to all who love Tex-Mex flavors. Spoon some Green Pea Guacamole
on top and store-bought salsa or your own Fresh Tomato Salsa.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

schuller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx