Basque Pie

2 cups prepared mashed potatoes (I use instant potatoes for
convenience?omit the butter though)
1-2 tablespoons dry sherry, white wine, or balsamic vinegar  (I prefer
the sherry)
1 medium (or large) onion  peeled and chopped
2 cloves of garlic peeled and chopped or 2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 package assorted organic frozen vegetables (I like the Cascadian Farm
varieties)
2 tablespoons flour
¾ cup vegetable stock (or really, any liquid that you prefer?even
something like homemade or canned soup would work)
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme or sage, or 1 teaspoon dried
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves, or 1 teaspoon dried
dash of nutmeg

1.) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

2.) Heat the sherry in a large skillet over medium-low heat.  Add the
onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until the onion is soft and wilted
(Be careful not to let the garlic brown).  Turn up the heat to medium
and add the frozen vegetables.  Cook about 5-10 minutes (depending on
how soft or crunchy you like your veggies), stirring occasionally.  Add
the flour and cook stirring for about 2 minutes.  Add the vegetable
stock, thyme, rosemary, nutmeg, and salt and pepper to taste.  Cook and
stir until thickened.  Remove from heat.

3.) Transfer the vegetable mixture to a gratin dish or a pie plate.
Spread the mashed potatoes over everything. Sprinkle some nonfat cheese
on top if you like, and bake for 35 minutes or until nicely browned.
Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.

This is the best thing I?ve ever eaten!  I?m a college student, and
trust me I hate to be stuck in the kitchen for too long.  This is an
extremely simple meal to prepare, it tastes phenomenal, and it keeps in
the fridge for a while or it can even be frozen.  Yummy!!  VEGAN or
LACTOVEGGIE (if you opt for the cheese)