couscous with currants

Hi, all -

   I found this recipe last week in Cooking Light's cook book: Five-Star
Recipes; the Best of 10 Years.  I made it yesterday, with slight
variations,  because it was a recipe I already had all the ingredients
for on hand. Well, almost all - I didn't have plum tomatos - I used the
tomato I had. The recipe  makes just two servings, and it's delicious.

COUSCOUS WITH CURRANTS

2/3 C no-salt-added  vegetarian  broth
1/3 C couscous, uncooked
2 Tbsp sliced green onions
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/3 C seeded, diced plum tomato
1/4 C drained canned chick-peas (garbanzo beans)
2 Tbsp currants or raisins
dash of ground cumin
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1/4 tsp. pepper

Bring broth to a boil in a medium saucepan; stir in couscous. Remove
from heat; cover and let stand 5 minutes or until couscous is tender and
liquid is absorbed. Fluff with a fork; set aside.
  Saute green onions and garlic 1 minute in medium nonstick skillet
sprayed lightly with Pam. Add couscous, tomato, and next 3 ingredients,
cook 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Remove from heat, and stir in
parsley, lemon juice and pepper. Serve warm. Yield: 2 servings.

   This is a very pretty dish, with the white couscous contrasting with
the  red tomato and green onion, the dark currants and the lighter chick
peas. It's listed in the "Pasta Sides" section of the book. Next time I
make it I'm going to serve it as a salad on a bed of leaf lettuce. Hope
you'll try it - I think you'll like it.

Margaret