yummm eggplant!

hello...yummmm eggplant!

this is one we have and enjoy a lot...right now i have minestrone soup "ala
mollie katzen" in our crockpot...it has cubed eggplant that i sauted with
tomatoes yesterday and then added with the fresh veggies in the crock
today...

we love eggplant...thank goodness we got smart and discovered that you
don't have to fry it like we did once long ago...it is just like a
sponge...soaking up all the fat and oil...

NOW, our favorite way of preparation is ROASTING...with other veggies...in
a foil lined pan, for 45 minutes, tossing with balsamic vinegar, garlic
powder and fresh rosemary, 400 degree oven...turning every 15 minutes....a
GREAT base for pasta sauces and all sorts of wonderful dishes..lasagne
etc.  it freezes wonderfully too.  the best way ever to enjoy this lovely
purple veggie...aubergine!

hope that this helps...

nancy
wings@xxxxxxxxxxx

  Eggplant Marrakech

Recipe By     : Sundays at Moosewood cookbook
Categories    : Vegan                            Vegetables
                 Rice                             Pasta

    2      medium        eggplants -- or large
    1      cup           onions -- finely chopped
    2                    garlic cloves -- pressed or minced
      1/4  tsp           ground red pepper  -- or Berbere
    1      teaspoon      Hungarian paprika
    1      tsp           ground cumin seeds
      1/4  tsp           ground cloves
    2                    chopped tomatoes
      1/2  cup           vermicelli
                         - broken into short pieces
    1      cup           water
    1      cup           cooked brown rice
    1      cup           cooked chickpeas
      1/2  cup           raisins
    3      Tbsp          fresh lemon juice
      1/4  cup           chopped fresh parsley
                         salt and pepper to taste
                         pimiento strips

Leaving the stems on, slice the eggplants in half lengthwise and
place them, cut side down, on an oiled baking sheet. Covered them
with aluminum foil and bake at 375 degrees for about 45 minutes,
until tender.

"Saute" the onions, garlic and spices until onions are translucent.
Stir often to prevent spices from burning. Add the chopped tomatoes
and simmer, covered, for 3 or 4 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a separate pot, - here the cookbook says to fry the
vermicelli in olive oil for a couple of minutes until the color
changed to golden-brown - I sprayed a pan with Pam and did the same -
I really think you could just skip this, I don't think it made any
difference. Anyway, after the frying, immediately add a cup of water,
bring it to a boil, and simmer, covered, for about 5 minutes, until
the water is absorbed; remove from heat. Add rice, chick peas, and
raisins. Stir in the sauteed onion-tomato mixture, lemon juice, and
parsley. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Turn the baked eggplant halves over in the baking pan. With a fork or
spoon, mash the pulp a little, taking care not to break the skin.
Push aside some of the pulp to make a hollow. Mound a quarter of the
filling on each half. Baked, covered, at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.

Garnish with pimiento strips (also suggests to sprinkle with feta cheese).

Variation: I didn't feel like making a stuffed eggplant so I sliced
the eggplant and broiled it. Then I just mixed it along with
everything else to make a wonderful casserole.

--
~Friends are Angels who lift us to
our feet when our wings have

~May the sweetness of Angels bring