Re: FATFREE Digest V98 #356

Pam-
I'm also a young athlete (cross-country running) vegetarian (mostly vegan
but lacto sometimes). pre meet i usually need lots of carbs and something
that will fill me up for a little while. the best things i've found for
breakfast are a big bowl of whole oats w/molasses for iron or any other
sweetner- add dry fruit for a little extra. usually my meets are in the
afternoon so my lunch has to be light but filling so i usually go with
whaet bread toped with a bean puree- very good with the right spices or if
you dont mind a little fat a very thin layer of peanut butter(very sticky
and keps you from getting hungry) with mashed up bannanna works great.
couscous- quick and easy- is also very filling and can be made with tons of
stuff- it also digests well- add lentils(this comes prepackaged sometimes-
for protein, a must for athletes. whole wheat pancakes are also great in
the morning. try this before a competition though because sometimes your
body will freak out if you change your routine.
Catherine