Re: Digest 99 #19 - to Renee Kemske

Renee -
I face the same questions all the time, particularly from people who are
overweight, looking for a way to justify their lifestyles, telling
themselves *they're* more healthy, because they get enough fat, or god knows
what.
Don't let it make you defensive, because that only damages your good day, or
mood, or moment.  Since you have confidence in your choices - and they are
choices - just feel sorry for their ignorance.  Smile and remind yourself
there's that unexpected moment you're able to teach, whether you're aware of
it or not, and answer their questions.  Feel free to tell them you're very
careful, and you educate yourself about what you put into your body.  .

Even with the most recent news documenting those who eat less that 10% fat
running the risk of the bad LDLs taking over (ALIENS! <scream>), we get
enough naturally occurring fat, I believe.  After all, what's oatmeal got?
(I've forgotten.)

Education is the best defense.  Conversations are often initiated by my SIL
as to my eating habits, exactly along the lines you mention.  As she shovels
in a family-sized bag of m&ms.  I also use this line, when asked "why are
YOU on a diet?":  "Oh, I don't diet.  I make life-style choices so I don't
need to diet.  Dieting is unhealthy and unsuccessful.  I'm sure you've
experienced that."   (Or if I'm feeling particularly attacked, "...I can see
you've experienced that."   But that's under severe attack. <S>

Hang in there.
Christine

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  E-mail may contain confidential information that is legally privileged.  Do not read this e-mail if you are not the intended recipient.

This e-mail transmission, and any documents, files or previous e-mail messages attached to it may contain confidential information that is legally privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient, or a person responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of any of the information contained in or attached to this transmission is STRICTLY PROHIBITED.  If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately notify us by reply e-mail, by forwarding this to postmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or by telephone at (800) 477-0770, extension 4860 and destroy the original transmission and its attachments without reading or saving in any manner.  Thank you.