Re: iron rich recipe

Hello...I am looking this up...the book says only 2% of the iron in spinach
is bioavailable.   Plants and legumes contain non-heme iron as opposed to
meat which is heme iron.  " Plant foods, such as carrots, potatoes, beets,
pumpkin, broccoli, tomatoes, cauliflower, cabbage, turnips and sauerkraut,
are good sources of iron although it's in a less readily absorbed form
called nonheme iron.  Absorption of the nonheme iron in legumes and iron-
fortified cereals can be enhanced by combining them with vitamin C."
This quote is from Prevention Magazine.  They have a list of the 23 items
with the highest amount of iron; except for tofu, quinoa, pumpkin seeds,
soybeans and Cream of Wheat Cereal the rest is all meats and seafoods.

As to amounts of iron, 1/2 cup collards-no % iron given, 1/2 cup spinach--
32% of the RDA, 1/2 c beet greens 14% of the RDA, 1/2 cup dandelion greens--
9% of the RDA, mustard greens-not appreciable,  1/c turnip greens--6 % RDA.
1/2 cup kale--13% of the RDA.  I noticed Jerusalem artichokes have 26%
of the RDA for 1/2 cup.

Bye...Elizabeth