Recipe: Curried Squash with Kale

Adapted from Jay Solomon's 150 Vegan Favorites:

Curried Squash with Winter Greens
6 servings

1 large yellow onion, diced
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 large tomatoes, diced
2-3 cloves garlic,  minced
2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
2 teaspoons ground cumin*
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper - optional
4 cups peeled, diced butternut squash or sweet potatoes
5 cups water
2-3 cups coarsely chopped kale

Saute the onion and celery in a small amount of water in the bottom of your
soup pot for about 5 minutes.  Add all of the other ingredients and bring to
boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the squash is cooked, about 25 minutes,
stirring occasionally. Stir in the kale and cook for 10 minutes.   For a
smooth soup, puree with a wand blender.

Time saving tip:  Substitute two 10 oz packages of cooked frozen squash
puree and one 10 oz package of collard greens for the fresh squash and kale,
use a big can of diced tomatoes instead of fresh.  Put all of those (don't
bother defrosting) and the remaining ingredients in the pot at once and cook
at a low boil for 30-40 minutes.

*Jay Solomon also calls for a full Tablespoon of curry powder, but that's
too overpowering for me.  I've deleted sauteing in oil and a couple of
cooking steps that didn't do anything for the end product as far as I could
taste.
Anne Cox