Baked some FF cookies yesterday

from a recipe previously posted to this list which is:

FF Molasses Cookies

1/2 c molasses (i use blackstrap)  and also used less than 1/2 c
2/3 c hot water
1/2 c raisins
1 t cinnamon
1/2 t baking soda
1.75 c ww pastry flour

Preheat oven to 350.  Combine molasses, hot water and raisins.  Boil for
5 min and then cool to room temp.

Mix remaining ingredients and stir thes into cooled molasses mixture.

Make spoonful size cookies and plaace on sprayed coolie  sheet.  I use
olive oil spray.

Bake for 10 min.

I used regular molasses and I did use 1/2 cup.  I didn't wait for the
mixture to cool either.  I didn't think it would hurt the other
ingredients.  I use a scoop to make cookies uniformly and the scoop is
one of those European ones.  It holds 1.5 T liquid, so the cookies were
good sized.  I used parchment paper on my cookie sheet and that worked
just fine.  The cookies are the cakey type and really were great.

A;ll of the comments came with it, they aren't mine.

But I do have some questions.  I like to think of myself as a big molasses
fan.  So I used the full 1/2 and I boiled the stuff exactly as directed.
And like the second person, I didn;t bother to cool it down, i just mixed
it while hot.  I baked the cookies etc.  When I bit into them htey had a
very bitter burnt taste.  Ugh.

I too used blackstrap molasses.  And as of right now, I would never make
these cookies again.  Is there another kind of molasses I should use
instead?  would it be okay to bring it to a simmer instead of a boil?  For
that matter, why do they have to be brought to a boil anyway?

--
Gloriamarie Amalfitano, knitting and spinning all over San Diego County.
Remember that it is far better to go through life consumed by A Great