Beans and salad

I made up this recipe today because I have tomatoes up the wazoo and no more
room in the freezer for tomatoes in ziplock bags. I guess I better learn to
can because the climate in Missouri makes for loads of tomatoes (as well as
peppers and chiles). I'm still picking both like crazy!

I have to say even with all the recipes everyone sent me for okra, I'm getting
a little tired of it. Good thing I only planted one package!

Jan's Fresh Fatfree Tomato Salad

4 large tomatoes, chopped (yellow and red ones)
1 to 1-1/2 cups chopped sweet peppers (a mixture of banana, red, yellow,
purple, and green)
1/4 red onion,  diced small
1-2 jalapenos, minced (optional)
1/2-1 tsp crushed garlic or 3-4 cloves minced
1/2 cup red wine vinegar (could also use white)
salt and pepper to taste

Mix everything together in a large bowl. You can eat this right away or chill
in the refrigerator.

And now for the beans, yet another recipe where I used an excess of fresh
tomatoes and sweet peppers. I made this one up too. Yummy!

Beans Mexicana

2 cans kidney beans + their juice
1 cup uncooked long grain brown rice
2 large onions, chopped
2-3 large green peppers, chopped
1 cup cooked seitan, cut into small pieces
5-6 large red tomatoes, chopped
4 large cloves garlic, minced
1-2 tsp cumin
1 tsp dried oregano (or 1 Tb fresh chopped)
*1 dried whole chipotle (smoked jalapeno)
2-1/4 cups veggie broth

Saute onions, peppers, and garlic in a 1/4 cup of the veggie broth until soft.
Mix in the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil. Lower heat to a
simmer, cover, and cook until the rice is tender, about 45 minutes.
*Note: Leave the chipotle whole so you can fish it out if you wish.

Enjoy!!
Jan Bennicoff