Apple recipes - Easy Apple Butter

For some reason apple butter is not usually available in Canada and I have
had to resort to making my own.  The easy way to make apple butter is with
a crock pot.  You can use regular recipes where you start with apples or
lazy recipes where you start with apple sauce.  By using the crockpot you
can avoid the frequent stirrings needed by top of stove methods.

Easy Apple Butter
Barb Beck

6 (14 oz cans) unsweetened apple sauce
   OR about 3 lb apples chopped and a
little water
3 Cups sugar ( white, brown, other sweetener of choice)
    Note: I often use less sugar (1C) or no sugar  if I am using the
    apple butter in cooking.  Hubby likes it made with the
    full amount for his morning toast
1 Tablespoon Cinnamon
1 Teaspoon Nutmeg
1/4 Teaspoon Cloves

Put applesauce and sugar in crockpot. (If using artificial sweetener do
not add to mixture until after the butter is done and cooled) Cook until
about half the original volume.  I usually cook on high during day and low
at night.  With my crockpot on my last batch I used high for 3 hours, low
for 9 hours and high again for 8 hours.  There is nothing magic about the
timing sequence.  I add the seasoning in the last half hour of cooking.
This makes about 6 cups.

Barb Beck
Barb.Beck@xxxxxxxxxxx
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada