Tofurky

Last weekend I told my husband about Tofurky, and he became very interested
in having one for Thanksgiving Dinner.  We found it in a box in the freezer
at Whole Foods.  It has a rolled tofu roast that is stuffed with dressing,
four tempeh cutlets (a.k.a. turkey legs), and about a pint of vegan gravy.
Each of the three items is wrapped separately.  It cost $17.99 which I
thought was a lot.  I removed the roll and the gravy from the freezer on
Wednesday, put them in the refrigerator to defrost, and stuck the cutlets
back in the freezer for another meal.

I followed the directions and basted the roll with orange juice, soy sauce,
and brown sugar, wrapped it in foil, and put it in the oven for 40 minutes.
 After I had removed the plastic/cellaphane it looked as if there was a
textured layer of something on the roll, but that was the tofu itself, so
if you make one, don't try to remove that.

The roll sliced nicely.  I thought that it tasted a little rubbery, but my
husband was very pleased.  I'm not a gravy person and didn't like the small
test taste I took, but he thought that the gravy was ok.

All in all, I would rather have had the lasagna I had originally planned to
make, but my husband is very happy and wants me to serve it on Christmas
when we have meat eating guests--I'm not so sure.  We will probably have
one again next Thanksgiving though.

Kathleen
schuller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx