Another rice cooker recipe.

I'm learning how to use the steamer/rice cooker that we bought recently.
Yesterday I tried to make oatmeal for breakfast in it and used quick
oatmeal.  The final product was too creamy for us.  This morning I am going
to try again and use old fashioned oatmeal.  I like the idea of starting
the oatmeal, riding my stationary bike for 30 minutes, and then having the
oatmeal ready to eat without further ado.

I made this in the rice cooker the other night and was pleased with the
results.  I wasn't sure if my husband would like barley for dinner, but he
really enjoyed it, and took the leftovers for lunch the next day.  I served
it with a boco burger and fresh fruit.

Kathleen

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                    Barley and Sun-dried Tomato Pilaf

Recipe By     : The Versatile Rice Cooker (revised to be oil free)
Categories    : Grains And Cereals               Main Dishes, Vegetarian
                Rice Cooker                      Vegetables

     1/2  cup           chopped onion
   1      cup           pearled barley
   2 1/2  cups          vegetable broth
   1      tablespoon    dried parsley OR
   2      tablespoons   fresh parsley
     1/4  cup           sun-dried tomatoes -- slivered
     1/2  teaspoon      salt
   1      cup           frozen green peas -- defrosted

Put all ingredients except peas in rice cooker.    Cover and allow to cook
until rice cooker shuts off. Carefully remove cover, quickly stir mixture
and add green peas.  Cover and allow to steam for 10 minutes before
serving.  Serve immediately.

(It took about 90 minutes in the steamer/rice cooker.)

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 3135 0 0 0 0

schuller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx