muffins and scones for your brunch

Muffins (or mini-muffins) are great for brunches as are scones or even
a soda bread.

People seem to love mini-muffins and always seem impressed by
them. (Banana or corn mini-muffins are also great for children who
might not eat a whole muffin!!) The tough part may be finding the
muffin pans. Also, they store well in the freezer so you can make a
few different types ahead of time and serve baskets of them. Most are
great on their own but you can serve jam or fruit butter with them.

Most recipes for cornbread, pumpkin bread, or banana bread can be used
to make muffins, just cut the cooking time to 15 to 20 minutes or
until the muffin passes the toothpick test.

Here are 2 of my favorite recipes (they should already be in the archive)
     lemon poppyseed muffins - my recipe
     festive scones - from Lynn Warble

Lemon Poppyseed Muffins

	 Makes about 3 dozen mini-muffins. Don't know how many regular
	 size.

	   Mix in one bowl:
		  2 1/2 c. flour
		  1/4 c. sugar
		  2 t. baking  powder
		  1 t. baking soda
		  1/2 t. salt
		  grated rind of 1 -2 lemon (use 2 if you use plain yogurt)
		  2 T. poppy seed (I find this is the minimum you can use and still
						     keep the right taste)
	   Mix in a separate bowl:
		  1 t. lemon extract
		  1 egg equivalent
		  1 8oz container of fatfree yogurt (plain is OK, but lemon is better)
		  1/2 to 3/4 cup orange juice

	  Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.  Try to use as few
	  strokes as possible.  Use a scoop or tablespoon to put batter into
	  prepared muffin tins. (I made mini-muffins). Use Pam or nonstick
	  muffin pans. Bake in preheated 350F oven until passes the toothpick test.
	  I'm not really sure about the cooking time for larger muffins because
	  I made mini ones this weekend so you probably need to see for
	  yourself.

		  mini-muffins: about 9 minutes or until golden brown
		  regular or giant muffins: probably about 15 minutes.

Festive Raspberry/Blueberry Scones

1 C WW flour
3 C unbleached all-purpose flour
1 C sugar (or less)
2T baking powder
1t baking soda
2 egg-substitutes (1/2 cup)
2 C low-fat buttermilk (can use yogurt)
2 pints still-frozen raspberries
1 pint still-frozen blueberries

Mix dry ingredients.  Add wet ingredients, not including frozen fruit.
When everything is mixed well, gently fold in the frozen fruit soas
not to break the raspberries and blueberries.
If added when still frozen, they
will remain whole and pretty and the dough will not stain.

Decrease the amount of sugar depending on the tartness of the berries.
My berries were particularly tart so sugar should be decreased to 1/2
to 3/4 of a cup if your fruit is sweet.

Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes.