Brown Gravy (&potatoes)

Someone (message deleted - sorry!) had asked about a brown gravy recipe the
other day.  I happened to make potatoes and gravy last night, so your
request is timely.  The recipe for brown gravy is from The New McDougall
Cookbook, p.334.  Here it is in whole for those without the book:

BROWN GRAVY  (makes 2 cups)

2 cups warm water
1 Tbs. raw cashew pieces, rinsed (I omitted this ingredient because of the
high fat content)
1 Tbs. onion powder
2 Tbs. cornstarch or arrowroot
3 Tbs. soy sauce (I used a "light" soy)
2-3 cloves garlic, pressed or 1/2 tsp. garlic powder (I used the powder,
thinking it would add some bulk to the gravy since I omitted the cashews)
1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1-2 Tbs. parsley flakes (optional - but a wonderful addition if used with
the potato dish following)

*Place 1/2 cup warm water + all the ingredients except the parsley in a
blender & blend until smooth & creamy
*When creamy, add 1 1/2 cups more warm water & blend
*Pour into a saucepan & cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until
thick, about 5 min.
*Add the parsley flakes after cooking, if desired

NOTE:  The gravy came out very tasty, and only slightly thickened, as we
like it.  I will add more cornstarch next time I want a heavier, thicker
gravy.   I used the gravy over the recipe for *Potato Balls* on p. 315,
only I made a casserole out of the dish as I was pressed for time.   Here
is my adapted version:

Potato "Balls" Casserole  -serves 4  (except in my house - it serves 2  :) )

4-5 potatoes, peeled and boiled until just tender (10 min.)
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1 1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. nutritional yeast (I used torula flakes)
1/3 cup fine bread crumbs (I used herbed crumbs)

*Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
*Finely shred the cooled potatoes with a grater or food processor
* Mix with all of the other ingredients, except the bread crumbs
*(At this point you could roll mixture into balls and roll in crumbs to
bake on cookie sheet - turning once) OR
*Place potato mixture into casserole baking dish, and top with bread crumbs
*Bake for 15 - 20 minutes.

Serve with brown gravy

Not a spot was left!  Hope you enjoy it as much as we did..

Tina
Pat94@xxxxxxxxx