Dinner the Other Night

I made this the other night, and my SO loved it (and
he's not even a very big fan of beans).  He said it had
a hearty taste that reminded him of a French cassoulet.
It was also much faster to cook than pasta usually is,
since I didn't have to wait for that big pot of water
to boil.

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                           Bean and Pasta Stew

Recipe By     : Vegetarian Times 101 Low-Fat and Fast
Meatless Recipes
Categories    : Bean Dishes                      Beans
                Entree
Fatfree
                Main Dishes, Vegetarian          Pasta
                Tested
Vegetarian

  Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation
Method
--------  ------------  -------------------------------
-
   1      cup           onion -- chopped
     1/2  cup           green pepper -- chopped
   3      cloves        garlic -- minced
                        nonfat cooking spray
  16      oz            stewed tomatoes -- (1 can, = 2
cups)
  16      oz            kidney beans -- undrained -- (1
can, =2 cups)
   6      oz            whole-wheat pasta shells -- (=
3 cups cooked)
   1      cup           water
     1/2  tsp           oregano
   1      tsp           basil
  16      oz            garbanzo beans -- undrained --
(1 can, = 2 cups)
                        pepper -- to taste

Saute onion, green pepper, and garlic in kettle sprayed
with nonfat cooking spray.  Add tomatoes, kidney beans,
pasta shells, water, and seasonings.  Bring to a boil,
cover, and simmer until pasta is tender.  Add garbanzo
beans and pepper to taste.  Heat thoroughly.

                   - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Hint: To reduce sodium, substitute saltfree
tomatoes and beans.

Per serving: 195 cal, 10g protein, 2g fat, 39g carb, 0
chol, 547mg sodium, 8g fiber.  Vegan.

Ruth's Notes:  I used saltfree tomatoes and saltfree
beans, but then I thought the dish needed some salt.
(And I'm not a heavy salt user, either.)  I used much
more garlic than the recipe indicates--maybe 7 cloves,
but they were small ones.  I couldn't find small
wholewheat shells, so used wholewheat rotini instead.
No problem.  I'm not sure I believe 8 servings, but it
certainly fed 3 of us with enough leftovers for
tonight's dinner, provided I put a side dish with it.

Enjoy!

Ruth C. Hoffman     ruthhoff@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes."  --Marcel
Proust