Re: Squash and bread recipes

Hi, Just a small comment on the "spicy conversation." Personally I love spicy
stuff, the more the merrier, but I realize we can't all be the same.  I figure
that's what makes the world go round.  I'm immensely grateful for all the
wonderful recipes. Keep them coming!!!

Spices and herbs are a wonderful fat replacement!

Here's a squash recipe that works with yellow squash or zucchini.
I adapted it from Authentic Mexican Regional Cooking from the Heart of Mexico
by Rick Bayless (it's not spicy, but has a really good flavor)

Summer Squash with Toasted Garlic and Lime

1 pound zucchini or yellow squash, cut into 1/2 inch cubes ( I prefer yellow
squash)
1 scant tsp salt, plus more to season finished dish
2 tablespoons vegetable broth for sauteing
5 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lime juice (can sub fresh lemon juice)
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper or to taste
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano or 2 tsp freshly chopped oregano
2 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley

1. Toss the squash with the salt and let stand in a colander for 30 minutes
over a dish or in the sink. Rinse and pat dry.
2. In a large skillet, saute the garlic in the vegetable broth until soft,
about 3 minutes. Remove garlic and set aside. Raise heat to medium -high.
3. Add squash to pan and saute for 8-10 minutes, until tender but a little
crunchy.
4. Stir in lime juice, oregano, parsley, pepper,  roasted garlic, and salt to
taste. Mix well.
Serves 2-4.

I made this bread today. Nice texture!! But, don't make it in your bread
maker. (I forgot, again, oops!) It is a batter bread and makes your bread
maker all goopy because it never gets very solid. So just mix it up with an
electric mixer with dough hook or food processor. Or, if you don't have
either-by hand.

Adapted from Beard on Bread

English Muffin Bread (one  loaf)

1 package of dry active yeast or 1 level tablespoon
1 tablespoon Succanat,  brown sugar or turbinado sugar
1/2 cup warm water
1-1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup unbleached flour
1/4 cup barley flour
2 teaspoons salt
7/8 cup Better than Milk Lite
1/4 teaspoon baking soda dissolved in 1 tablespoon water

Mix everything together in your mixer or food processor but the baking soda
solution and knead. Let rise in a warm place for about 1-1/4 hours until
double. Stir down and mix in baking soda solution. Mix in thoroughly for about
a minute.

Spray a bread pan with a light coating of cooking spray and scrape in the
dough. (Dough will be very sticky.)
cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place for about 1-1/4 to 1-1/2
hours.

Preheat oven to 375° and bake about 25-30 minutes until top is brown and the
bread pulls away a little from the sides. Cool in the pan for about 5 minutes
and then turn out on a rack to finish cooling.
Yummy taste and texture all by itself with nothing on it!

Jan Bennicoff