re: rice with lentils

Did anyone else notice the following recipie called for Chicken Broth? As
this is a vegetarian list, I doubt any of us use chicken broth. My
question is, could you substitute vegetable broth instead? I have also
wondered if you can substitute vegetable broth in any recipie that calls
for chicken broth and would it still be good and give it flavor? There
are many things I have wanted to make but they always call for chicken
broth. Maybe you could make the following recipie with out the broth all
together. What is the broth supposed to do to the dish?

Thanks,

Danielle