Substitute for Bechamel Sauce

On Friday, Jan. 30, Elizabeth J. Rowe sent in an moussaka recipe and said
that she left off the bechamel sauce to cut the fat. I have a recipe that I
use to substitute for bechamel sauce.

Bechamel Substitute

9 oz. soft tofu
2 Tbsp. nonfat yogurt
1/4 liquid egg substitute (equal to one egg)
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. dry mustard
1/4 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. grated nonfat Parmesan cheese

Mix ingredients in a food processor until smooth. About 15-20 minutes
before your casserole is finished baking, remove it from the oven and pour
the sauce over the casserole. Return to the oven and finish baking.

This recipe originally came from my Weight Watchers pasta cookbook. I
modified it to be nonfat instead of low fat.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Bethann

Bethann D. Watson          Senior Technical Editor
(919) 472-2117             Cisco Systems, Inc.

Ultimately time is all you have and the idea isn't
to save it, but to savor it.   ---Ellen Goodman