dried beans

Hello,

I have a question about some dried beans we bought.  They look like
small chickpeas with extremely tough dark reddish-brown skins.  I'm
pretty sure they're some sort of gram dal--perhaps chana dal before
it's split and skinned?  The problem is, we're not sure what to do
with them, and we've got 10 lbs.  I tried soaking and cooking
some of them (a *very* long time) to see if the skins might loosen
and come off, but it didn't work, and the skins made them inedible.
I'd appreciate any suggestions on preparing these things--it's been
quite disheartening! :)

Also, does anyone have recipes using besan (chickpea flour), other
than in pakoras?  I enjoy it, and would like to do more with it.

Thanks!

Rachel B.