Picking over Lentils

This is an utterly stupid question, but one which has bugged me for a
long time - any help would be welcome - answer privately if you wish.

Since I started looking seriously at lentil recipes, I have been
intrigued with the instruction "rinse and pick over".

What exactly am I picking them over for? I assume it is to remove
something, but I have never found anything that needed removing.

Looking forward to your comments.

Fran Watts
Ballito, South Africa
fran@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Avoid stress - avoid the company of irritating people