Pumpkin-Rice Pudding

To Jan who requested the recipe. I'm not the original poster. Just a happy
eater.          Carla

Practically Fat-Free Pumpkin Rice Pudding

2 quarts water
1 c. Arborio or other short-grain rice
4 c. non-fat milk (I'll try rice milk)
1 vanilla bean, split (I'll try 1-2 tsp vanilla extract)
pinch of salt
1/3 c. sugar
15 oz can pureed pumpkin
1 tsp ground cinnamon, plus extra for garnish
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 c raisins

In a heavy, large saucepan, bring water to a boil and add the rice. Boil,
uncovered, for 7
minutes; drain well.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In the same saucepan, bring the milk to a boil
over medium
high heat, stirring occasionally. Add the vanilla bean, rice, and salt.
Cook, uncovered,
over medium-low heat, stirring often, until rice is very soft and absorbs
most of the milk,
15-18 minutes. Remove from heat, remove vanilla bean, and stir in sugar.

In a large bowl, mix pumpkin with half (2 cups) of the rice pudding. Add
ginger, and nutmeg. Spoon pumpkin rice pudding into a buttered 2 quart
baking pan
(I'll use a quick spray of Pam). Mix raisins into white rice mixture. Spoon
it over the
pumpkin mixture. Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes, or until firm. Serve warm,
with cinnamon if desired.           Serves 6-8.