SAD family members

Hi.  I am new to the list, having subscribed about 1 month ago.  I find it
very informative and interesting, and it reminds me that I'm not the only
one eating all this "wierd" stuff as my son calls it.  I have a question...
I see people referring to "my SAD son" or SAD husband, etc.  What does SAD
stand for? I haven't been able to figure it out.  Also, what is the
difference between vegetarian and vegan?  I know this is pretty basic, but
you have to start somewhere, right?  I am following Dean Ornish's program
and really appreciate all the hints I am getting.  Thanks!